Thursday, June 3, 2010

The importance of a personal mission statement.

Do you have your own personal mission statement? A sentence that encompasses all that you are and all that you intend to do in your lifetime? If you are like most people, the answer is no. And even if you do, is it refined to a point where you can tell it to someone and they will have a full grasp of your purpose in life?

Companies typically have a Mission Statement, a Vision Statement, and a set of Core Values. The Mission Statement is what the customer sees, the vision statement is what the employees see, and the Core Values are the directives to help achieve the Mission and Vision. The Mission and Vision Statements can change over time, but the Core Values must remain the same.

I will challenge you to think about what is your Mission? What is your Vision? And, what are your Core Values. Once you make the commitment to figure out who you are, and what you want, it is easier to develop a statement that will embody your total thought.

The most amazing thing happens when you have a fully developed Mission Statement too. All of a sudden, you will have clarity in your position. You will start to identify jobs that fit your mission. You will find it easier to gravitate toward a career that will help you achieve your personal mission. You see, your job is what you do, but your mission is who you are. Don’t confuse your job with your mission. First you have to write your mission, and then you can go find a job that will align your activities to help you achieve your mission.

For example, my personal mission statement reads:
“To be a positive influence, and improve the lives of others, through meaningful personal relationships”

My Core Values are:
• To provide consistent and impeccable service
• To treat people with respect and dignity
• To exceed expectations

You can see how my job, in the staffing industry, fits with my mission. By helping people find work, I am having a positive influence on the whole world, and I am helping not just that one person, but a whole domino effect of people surrounding that person. The best way I can accomplish my job is through the connections I have and the relationships I have with others.

When you know what your mission is, and you find a job that matches with your spiritual self, then it is really easy to get motivated to get up and go to work each day. I think of my job like this: If I help a man get a job, and that allows him to put his child through college, and that child grows up to be an accomplished and successful scientist who goes on to win the Nobel Prize, then I have achieved everything. That child will never know that I had a hand in his achievements, and I will probably never know about all the success stories that come from my activities either. Just knowing that I can have an indirect effect on greatness is motivation enough.

You need to find something that fills your passion bucket, and the only way to do that is to identify your personal mission and then live up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment