Friday, October 22, 2010

Managing your career: It's part of your job.

Over the past several months, I have been faced with the question of career management.  You see, every day, it is my job to help people find jobs, and to that extent, I am pretty good at it.  The piece that is missing is long term career management and planning. 

I recently gave a presentation to a group of job seekers, and one woman asked the question, "If I take a lot of temp jobs, how will that effect my ability to land a full time job later on?"  I gave her an answer that at the time seemed less than adequate.  It occurs to me now, that having a lot of short term engagements is not bad if you intend to have a career as a consultant.  If on the other hand, you are looking for a full time position that you can commit to, then having a lot of short projects may not be in your best interest.

It is tough to tell someone who is out of work that they should not take a short term gig, but it is just as hard to tell someone with a lot of short term engagments that a manager is looking for more stability.  This is a real dilemma for many people in today's job market.

The point is, when you are looking for a position, think about the role you are going to play, and how does it help or hurt your long term career goals? 

No comments:

Post a Comment